Monday, January 28, 2008

Photosynthesis!


Now is the time for 3rd graders to learn about plants, leaves and leaf structures and the process by which plants turn light energy into chemical energy. I just like saying photo-SYN-the-sis, emphasis on the SYN. I've been saying it that way since I was in 3rd grade probably.

Anyway, Nicholas came home with his science project today. He's been taking care of this plant for almost 2 weeks now, and was happy to report that his plant had grown to be the biggest in his class. According to Nick, even the plant that came in second didn't really count because it fell over and broke in half, thus disqualification. I guess the competition in 3rd grade is fierce. To me, it seems a miracle this plant has even survived, because when he got into the car, I asked him how often he waters it and he said 'I don't know'. Then I asked him if it needs to be in the shade or in sunlight and again he answered 'I don't know'. The test on this science is Thursday, we'll probably have to study a bit more for this one.

No comments: