Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our Brittany





I have been dreading this post, seems like it isn't going to be any easier to write anytime soon. So, I'm sure I will drippy, teary cry my way through it. I feel like I should write something about our beloved cocker spaniel Brittany. Last weekend, we took her to the vet after her appetite had gradually waned to nothing in about 5 days. The Vet was not overly concerned with her status, just treated her for a stomach ailment and sent us on our way with two kinds of medicine. But in the days that followed, she got so sick, so quickly. At 5:30am on Monday, as I slept with her on the floor, I could feel that she'd given up. After walking around deleriously from what we now know was a crazy high fever, she eventually came over to me and collapsed. I scooped her up and Craig and I rushed her to the animal hospital while she was gasping for air. We knew she had tumors and possibly any one of many issues related to age. It was very clear that we only had one option and soon the gasping stopped and wrapped up in her creamy colored soft banket, my pretty little girl was asleep.
That moment happened so fast, with minutes to say goodbye.



B-Dizzle was a gift to me on my 19th birthday and she was just that, a precious gift. We'd been through so much together. A first wedding, two pregnacies, two babies, a divorce, broken hearts, job lay-off, new job and finally a happy marriage. She was very used to my tears in her fur, that's for sure. Craig thinks Brittany was able to let go because she knew I would finally be ok now. Maybe that's true.




Brittany was the most beautiful, loyal dog ever. She always seemed to know when I was sick and would stay with me. I feel like I lost a best friend. As much as I knew she wouldn't be around forever, I still wasn't prepared for this overwhelmingly sad feeling. I love her so much. We'll love you forever Brittany.

post signature

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh Vic,
I've been crying for days, I can only imaging how you must feel! So glad that I was able to meet her at your wedding. She was such a sweet soul. I hope Riebe lives up to the comfort and support she provided you...those will be tough shoes (paws) to fill!